The Harrodian Reception curriculum covers seven areas of learning provided in the framework of the Early Years Foundation Stage. These are:
- Personal, social and emotional development: this focuses on helping our children to build their confidence, work well as part of a group, follow rules, show sensitivity to others and adapt well in different situations.
- Communication and language: this includes listening and attention, understanding and speaking in different situations for a variety of purposes.
- Understanding of the World: this assists our children in developing crucial knowledge, skills and understanding that help them to make sense of the world around them. This area is explored later in science, design and technology, geography, history and information technology.
- Expressive arts and design: this includes art, music, dance, role play and imaginative play. Fostering creativity enables children to make connections between one area of learning and another and so extend their understanding.
- Physical Development: this focuses on cultivating the enjoyment of being healthy and active and equips pupils with basic sports skills and develops their spatial awareness, co-ordination and motor skills through a variety of game-based activities.
The Reception curriculum also includes French, Music and Computing taught by specialist teachers.
For more information, please download and read our Reception Curriculum handbook below.